eBooks: Downloading to a Computer
You can view eBooks on your computer either through your browser, through your free Overdrive app, or by downloading the title to your computer using Adobe Digital Editions.
- In your browser, go to Overdrive, the eBook and audiobook catalogue.
- Browse or search for books.
- When you find an item you want to borrow, click on it to view more information.
- Click the “Borrow” button. You’ll be prompted for your library name and card number.
- You now have 3 different ways of viewing the eBook:
- download the book to your computer into Adobe Digital Editions (see below for more information about downloading Adobe Digital Editions);
- read the book online in your browser;
- download the book into your Overdrive Media Console app (go to your App Store, search for and download the free Overdrive app).
Download Adobe Digital Editions (free)
If you’ve already downloaded Adobe Digital Editions, you won’t need to follow the steps below. Books should download automatically to your Adobe Digital Editions (if not, contact your library or see Overdrive’s Help Pages).
- Go to http://www.adobe.com/ca/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/download.html
- Click either the Macintosh or Windows link to select your platform.
- Download and install the software.
- The first time you download, you’ll be prompted for your Adobe ID, which you can get by clicking on “Create Adobe ID”. This lets you transfer items across multiple devices. Once you have your ID and password, enter it into the Adobe Digital Editions installation screen (if you’re not prompted for the ID, click Help and Authorize Computer). Enter your Adobe ID and password and click “Authorize”.
For more help, visit Overdrive’s Help Centre.
*Please note that the eBook collection is hosted on a Third Party website with its own set of privacy policies.
Find out more:
- About the Service
- Compatible Devices
- Finding and Borrowing Items & Placing Holds